Monday, March 14, 2011

A thirst for Jesus

Proverbs 22:6 (NKJV)
Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it.

Deuteronomy 6:6-7 (NIV)
These commandments that I give you today are to be in your hearts, impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home, when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.

I can’t afford to wait for my children to pick up a bible and read for themselves about God. It’s my responsibility as a parent to stand in the gap on their behalf, teaching them the bible, praying with and for them, and setting a Christian foundation for them to build on.

How could I expect my children to live a Godly life if they don’t see it in me?
My role as a mom is something I take very serious; I think I’ve done a decent job thus far. However I’m human and I make mistakes, I have weaknesses and imperfections. I try to set a good example; I try to always live for Him, for them. I realize that I need His help to raise my children; I need His strength and wisdom.

The phrase “train up” in the Ancient Hebrew language speaks of a midwife who would dip her finger into crushed dates then put them into the mouth of a newborn baby. The purpose was to stimulate the thirst for milk. So the idea is that the phrase “train up a child” means to create a thirst within in them.

In Deuteronomy 6:6-7 Moses is telling us that what we teach our children must be real to us first. Our faith in Jesus Christ should reflect in every aspect of our lives, it’s something we should talk about not just at church, at a set time or on a set day. We should talk with our children about Jesus all the time – when you sit at home, when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. It’s when I teach them by example that He is a part of everything I do, that I will create in them a thirst for Him.

I pray for your help Lord, as a parent. Give me the strength and wisdom to raise my children in your honor. Please supply what I lack. Help me to keep my children on the path that leads to eternal life. Guide me in teaching them of the joy of your presence through a daily relationship with you. Allow my commitment to raising these children for your glory cause their lives to forever testify to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment